Friday, May 31, 2013

Date Night Ramblings

 Tonight we went to the Terminal 21 Mall in Bangkok for our date night. We walked from our apartment--which was about 3/4 of a mile. The entrance to the mall had a canopy of clear plastic umbrella with streamers hanging from the points. (Umbrellas were just added, for they weren't there the last time we visited the mall.) I thought it would be a cute idea for a bridal or baby shower.

We ate at Piri-Piri a Portuguese restaurant. We both had great hamburgers. Then we had German chocolate cake at a bakery, and then a scoop of Baskin Robbins ice cream. Splurge! We walked all over six floors of the mall. Each floor is a different country--Japan, Istanbul, and San Francisco represented the US.

Every floor has personality. On Japan's floor we found these huge sumo wrestlers. They look so real. Dennis would stand to the shoulder of these guys--that's how big they are. Thank goodness they hold up the building.

San Francisco has the Golden Gate Bridge spanning across the escalators. Next time I'll take a picture. There is also an escalator that goes from the 3rd to the 6th floor. It looks cool.

We decided to take the subway home, but could barely squeeze in [the subway] because it was so crowded. Rain fell on us from the subway to home. Look at us--big city dwellers! I look out my bedroom window at skyscrapers. We swim in the apartments' swimming pool and look up at skyscrapers. We walk to our office on crowded sidewalks--crowded with pedestrians, street vendors, and motorbike taxis.

 If Bangkok sidewalks were in the US, they would be
 a million lawsuits waiting to happen. I have tripped multiple times on uneven cement, holes in the sidewalk, missing tiles, etc. I've got to keep my eye to the ground to keep upright. There is no warning, caution tape, not a-frames to make you walk around the hazards. You are on your own. And make sure to watch out for the motorbike taxis because they own the sidewalks and appear out of nowhere. Surprise!

We've had more rain in the last week, which I am loving. It temporarily relieves the humidity, and being the desert girl I am, it is a nice change. If rain clouds come, it rains--not like in Arizona where if a raincloud floats by, there is only a 5% chance of rain.

But I'm rambling. Back to the date. It was nice to get out together--even in a crowded mall and subway.

I admit, I'm still in love with my companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment