Friday, May 3, 2024

Setting Up House

Hitch a ride on the back of a motorcycle taxi.
 We've gone shopping two days now at Lotus/Tesco for housegoods, and each time has been an adventure, besides fearing we were being kidnapped. Few brands look familiar. Even Head and Shoulders has Thai script all over it. Comparing prices by weight is a challenge. Finding someone to help you who speaks English is iffy. Some product equivalences do not exist such as spray Pam, even by any other name.

Food vendors in the mall
We wanted to take a taxi home because we bought so much stuff, but none wanted to go in that direction. Finally, Dennis talked to a tuk-tuk driver and he accepted the job. He took the direct root home. He went the back way into the Temple driveway. Slick, except for the standstill traffic at Petchaburi and Asoke. (Pictures I've posted.) We will look for him next time we need a tuk-tuk.

Young couple from India sealed this week.
We've had groups from all over this part of the world. The Russians have been here about a week, and have left this morning. They were such inspiring people. I feel some loss that they have gone, but some will come back in August. The group from India will leave on Tuesday. A group of 85 came from Ubon and Udorn Thani, Thailand--many youth accompanied by several adults. There are people here from Myanmar and Cambodia. They all bring such a wonderful spirit with them.

Dennis has led several sessions. I worked in initiatories--specifically washing--for an hour and a half straight. Imagine me speaking English, the next sister confirming in Thai, something never allowed in Mesa, but we do what is necessary here. I started making mistakes around an hour. We were busy the whole time, so no sitting.

I mostly worked the recommend desk yesterday. It is the best place to meet members from all over. The come with happy anticipation and leave glowing with Christ's love. I love it.


Street vendor makes omelets to your liking.

There are things I'm still trying to get used to. Light switches in our apartment flip down for on, not flushing toilet paper down the toilet--oops! Not crossing my legs (it's exhausting not to.) I usually wait for a Thai to cross their legs before I do--but few do. It is impolite. Making sure not to drink tap water, to turn on the filtered faucet instead. Not doing anything with my feet but walk (like scooting objects especially.)

Chicken with corn kernel coating, and fried seaweed--maybe.
There are food vendors all along the streets near the temple. Here's some fun things I've seen. The chicken on a stick they grill right there is so delicious. Fruit vendors--yum. 
Fried fish heads.



I haven't seen boiled chicken feet yet, but that's a favorite too--of the Thais. Not mine. I can't get myself to try it. Or fried beetles. Let it be.

To each his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thailand, Viet Nam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Singapore, and India--An International Temple

  We are an "International Temple" as temple President Khanakham has stated many times. We serve Thailand, Viet Nam, Laos, Cambodi...